Treatment for Methamphetamine Use

Navigating where to get help especially if you are concerned that your drug use may be becoming problematic can be difficult and confusing. Everyone has opinion about drug use and they want to share it with you.

Maybe you just want to know where you can go and what are your options are so you can weigh up what is available before you make a decision. Knowing what your options are can help you make an informed decision about what would be best for you.

You can ring Alcohol Drug Information Service, ADIS, on 02 9361 8000 or freecall 1800 422 599 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for education, information, support, crisis counseling and referral to services in NSW. Or check out their website.

ADIS staff understand it can be difficult to ask for help and the staff use their knowledge and experience to best answer your questions to assist you. If you are concerned about your stimulant use you can ring Stimulant Treatment Line.

What is the Stimulant Treatment Line (STL)

STL is a 24 hours, 7 days a week, phone line for people who have concerns about psychostimulants (crystal, ice, coke, MDMA, etc) use. STL offers education, information, support, referral, and counseling for people concerned about stimulant use. STL can also refer people to treatment services that specialise in psycho stimulants.

The STL can assist callers with referrals to other, non-specialist alcohol and other drug services, including the Stimulant Treatment Program (STP). STP provides intensive counselling and other interventions, including medication, for those people who are wanting help to reduce or stop their psychostimulant use.

You can call STL 24 hours a day 7 days a week for support, information, counseling and referral to services in NSW. If you are concerned about ice, crystal, coke or MDMA Call: Sydney 02 9361 8088 and Regional & Rural 1800 10 11 88.

What is the S-Check Clinic? 

The main treatment for problematic Ice Use in Australia is Rehab but if you live in or close to Sydney or Newcastle you can contact S-check Clinics. St Vincent’s Hospital and Hunter Hospital Newcastle both have free S-Check Clinics.

S-Check clinics provide free and confidential service that provides a discreet and confidential health check for people who use stimulants (i.e. methamphetamine, cocaine and ecstasy) you don’t even need a Medicare card or ID to access the service. The stimulant health check includes comprehensive psychological, emotional and social health assessments with a counselor, feedback reports and a takeaway resource kit.

You will be able to speak to a medical practitioner to discuss and explore any concerns you have related to your physical and sexual health and your stimulant use. S-Check clinic will work with you and provide you with Information and support around harm reduction strategies specific to your drug use and needs. Staff will also provide you with support and referrals to other services if required. You will also have access to 24 hour telephone support line.

For more information on how S-Check Clinic can support you check out their website.

In Australia there are a number of different types of help or treatments available and these include:

  • Detox: Withdrawal or detoxification (also called detox) this is a process of stopping the use of alcohol or other drugs under a medically supervised setting whilst trying to minimise the unpleasant symptoms.
  • Counselling this is a common form of treatment many people turn to it can be provided individually or in a group setting, and is available both to people who use Alcohol and other drugs, and to their family members. Counselling often involves talking through your problems, and learning to change the way you think, or how you behaviour when faced with difficult situations or stressful situations.
  • Rehabilitation or Residential programs are usually long term approach to alcohol and other drug treatment. The aim is to help you achieve an alcohol and other drug free lifestyle. These are usually residential programs and can last from a few weeks to a number of years. Often at residential programs don’t provide medicated withdrawal, so it is usually important that you have already successfully completed a withdrawal treatment before you commit to this type of treatment.
  • Complimentary Therapies include treatments such as massage and relaxation therapies, these can be helpful when trying to manage your withdrawal symptoms. Some herbal or natural remedies can also help, but remember you should first seek advice from your GP or treatment service because withdrawing from alcohol and other drugs without medical supervision can be life-threatening.
  • Peer Support: Many people are familiar with support programs like Narcotics Anonymous, NA Alcoholics Anonymous, AA and Smart Recovery. These programs are based on lived experience  peer support and are not only open to people who use Alcohol and other drugs, but their family members as well. These groups are often based on the Twelve-step Program model. Smart Recovery is a little different that it uses cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) rather than God.

If you want to know more about a particular type of service best suited to you can your local Drug and Alcohol worker at your local Community Health Centre or you can contact Alcohol & Drug Information Line in your state or check out the Australian Drug Information Network website. Check out their ADIN website.