Complaints about Sniffer Dogs

If you have been subject to sniffer dogs or stopped and searched by Police with sniffer dogs, you can report your experience to NSW Council of Civil Liberties (NSWCCL) via their complaints page.

There are also a number of other organisations you can complain to directly these include:

  • The NSW Ombudsman. The NSW Ombudsman is an independent and impartial watchdog. Their role is to make sure public sector agencies and some private sector agencies and their staff, do their jobs properly, meeting their responsibilities to the community. You contact the NSW Ombudsman   on 02 9286 1000 or freecall 1800 451 524 Email:
  • The NSW Police Local Area Commander in the area where you saw the dogs. To complain about NSW police officers, you can contact the Customer Assistance Unit on 1800 622 571.
  • The Police Integrity Commission: The Police Integrity Commission was established in 1996 by the NSW Parliament on the recommendation of the Royal Commission into the NSW Police Service.  It is separate from and completely independent of the NSW Police Force. Its principal functions are to detect, investigate and prevent police misconduct 9321 6700 Email:
  • Your local member of State Parliament.

The NSW Council of Civil Liberties website has information on:

  • Where police can use sniffer dogs
  • What should I do if I am approached by a sniffer dog

You can complain to the Police, the Ombudsman, NSW Council of Civil Liberties or a lawyer if the dog touches you or if the police are aggressive, rude or behave inappropriately.

  • For more information contact NSW Council of Civil Liberties on 8090 2952
  • For a complaint about a violation of your civil liberties:
  • For general questions or advice please contact:

See more information on sniffer dogs in our legal issues section.